Hello and welcome to my blog,

I would like to share here my experience with studying and living in Scotland.
My hope is that the posts might turn out to be useful, entertaining or inspiring.
I wish to capture the sheer beauty of this country, my adventures and also offer some insider tips.

Keep in touch!

Monday 28 July 2014

Know about Scots that...


Not all of them wear  Kilts. 

Warning! Do not mock it. It is NOT A SKIRT! For the true Scots it is a sense of honour and a family (clan) kilt is passed down generation. And also it is a proper, proper one. Not some cheap version made for tourists that you can buy at every corner. 

If you see a Scot wearing a kilt, he probably will be wearing underwear. >Such a shame<

When I asked why, I have been given three reasons

First, the obvious safety reason. 
Second, you might get too cold.
And third...apparently the true kilt material actually tends to bite a lot and is not that comfortable.















Not all of them play backpipes. 

Usually you could see backpipers in bigger cities (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Inverness) trying to earn money while entertaining people on the streets. 

Also it is very hard to play this instrument and not very many people devote their time to learning this nowadays.

Though one day there has been some backpiper practising at the Uni campus, nice distraction, I liked it.





- Not all of them are gingers. 
As much as I love ginger hair colour, I have to admit, not all of them are gingers. Yes, there are more gingers than in central Europe, but not as many as I hoped for.



Not all of them play rugby. 

This is actually not the best topic for a friendly conversation. Although they used to be really good, Scots lost badly in a recent competition.




Most of them are incredibly friendly people. 

They smile at you and start chatting to you, though never meeting you before. It is their aim to make you feel comfortable. Once the find out that you are a tourist, they find it amazing that you intended to visit their country and the can be very generous hosts. Very unlike English, I need to admit.



Most of them do drink whisky

But not the cheap one you can buy in Tesco´s. If you open up this topic, they will be talking for hours about the art of whisky making, the history of whisky making, the colour, the texture, the taste, the aftertaste, the good effect of whisky on you. There are lots of local distilleries.






Did I forget something? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment