Hello and welcome to my blog,

I would like to share here my experience with studying and living in Scotland.
My hope is that the posts might turn out to be useful, entertaining or inspiring.
I wish to capture the sheer beauty of this country, my adventures and also offer some insider tips.

Keep in touch!

Thursday 31 July 2014

Idioms and phrases



Scottish is an amazing language

Not only that it sounds amazing, but also, they have words and phrases of their own.

Here is a list of idioms and phases that grabbed my attention and made me write them down.
Most of them should be inclusively Scottish.


The first three are absolute must-know.

1. Aye.
- Yes...most of the people (the cool local people will respond with this word.)

2. Wee.
- no, it is not "to pee"...it means "little" (seriously everyone says that all the time!)

3. Awrite.
- Hi / Alright (in a sence of greeting)




Driving me round the bend.  
- "driving me crazy", Caitlin Knotts commenting on some person

Thare's a drap in the hoose.
- Walls have ears / everyone can hear you

Haud a wee.
- hang on / stop for a minute

Tak the gate.
- leave / exit / depart

Guid night an sweit dreams!
- Good night and sweet dreams.

Fine A ken.
- I know quite well.

A kent face.
-Someone that you have seen before.

At the hinner end.
- In the long run.

Are you takkin me on?
- Are you kidding / mocking me?

A'm feelin a bittie wabbit.
- I feel a bit tired.

We niver dee'd o winter yet.
- We will manage / survive.

No bother.
- No problem at all.


Those two I cannot remember the correct "translation" for.
1. Away and take your face for a shite. 
2. Shower ae shites.




And three bonus American ones:

Curiosity killed the cat. 
 - Theo Williams commenting on me being curious

Bomb fucked Egypt.
- In the middle of nowhere. (by Trenna)

It would cost me arm and leg.
- It would be pretty expensive. (Natalie Cohen, being in Prague)




I might have forgotten about some...

any suggestions what should I add?

No comments:

Post a Comment