Hello and welcome to my blog,

I would like to share here my experience with studying and living in Scotland.
My hope is that the posts might turn out to be useful, entertaining or inspiring.
I wish to capture the sheer beauty of this country, my adventures and also offer some insider tips.

Keep in touch!

Sunday 17 August 2014

Stirling nightlife

Some people might argue that there is not a very vibrant night life in Stirling.
As many of you know, I am not much of a party person. 
I cannot help it, I like to sleep at night...sorry.

Nevertheless, I did try to get a taste of what people do when they go out in Stirling.

PUBS.   

There are few pubs you might go to, such as the Irish pub or the Cape or the Kilted Kangaroo (a bar that pretends to look like an Aussie bar and includes Karaoke option). 

I have not gotten into liking any of them. You have expensive drinks and loud cheesy music that prevents any kind of rational conversation with your friends. 

Although, I have to admit, I have not been to the Irish pub...just because my brain works in  "why would I go to an Irish pub if I am in Scotland" way.

The pub that actually was nice and cosy was the 300 years old pub Settle Inn, that Conn took me during in my first week in Scotland (see here http://julieisinscotland.blogspot.cz/2014/02/day-2.html ). 
I came back a few times, because of the pleasent atmosphere and friendly local people.



CLUBS.  

Though not being a "party-animal" I did go to clubs 4 times during my whole stay. 
There are 2 clubs in Stirling. 
Dusk and FuBar.

Both of them are in a way very similar, except that there is an unwritten rule that on Tuesday it is cool to go to Dusk and on Thursday you go to FuBar.
Or maybe the other way around, I cannot even remember.

During my first visits to those clubs I went with my flatmates, who were absolute darlings, taking care of me and introducing me to their friends. 
Thank you Natalie, Lisa, Debbie and Jane!

What I have to confess though, that I did no enjoy myself that much. The music was way too loud (my ability to hear had to recover at least another 24 hours after), the clubs were too crowded (you literally could not make it to the dance floor unless being pushed or touched by the people you would in usual circumstances would not liked to by pushed or touched by) and the people are way to forward.

What do I mean by that?

Maybe it is not exclusively a Stirling club rule and I am just an inexperienced person, but I got very surprised when after dancing for 5 minutes I got approached by one guy to be kissed. 

Honestly said the guy was good looking and I might have considered his bold move for a second or two. I might have even been flattered for a split second, but then my brain kicked in and made me realise that this person is completely drunk and is probably lucky to recognize a girl from a guy with his surely blurred eye-sight. 
I did not wished to be kissed by a person like that and also...I would feel somewhat cheap. 

Later on I realised that being approched by a drunk person is not an unusual thing at all. 

This actually happens or regular bases and the guys get annoyed or even offensive if you say no. 

Let me be brutally honest here. 

The word "no" is something they don´t hear very often, because most of the girls (I wish I can say that I am just generalizing) are drunk too and like any kind of attention




A RECOMMENDATION

What I would recommend to do is following. Find good friends (such as Hazel, Rachel, Courtney, Theo, Nat, Liz, Jess or Sarah :)) and if you want to have real fun, get together for a party in your flat, cook food and buy some cheap booze if you must.

I have been to several events like those and I always enjoyed myself far more than if I went to a club and had to wait in a neverending queue and shout at my friends every single word if I wanted to be heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment